August 4, 2011

Home Again...

Well, I made it home from Ireland safe and sound. Those two months went by way too fast, but in the end I was ready to go home. I wanted to share a few things I picked up on while I was abroad....


Food:
take away= to go
cream= whipped cream (I learned this when I ordered my first coffee I said coffee with room for cream and the lady had no idea what I was talking about so she only filled my cup up half full!)
chips= french fries
crisps= chips
biscuits = cookies
bangers and mash= sausages and mash potatoes (my favorite Irish meal)

Sayings:
Cheers= hello/goodbye, thank you
give way= yield
Thanks a million= thank you (I never once heard someone say a simple thank you. I guess the saying is based off of a Gaelic expression that means "thank you a million times over".)
TH= t, in the Gaelic language they do not have "th" words so anything with th in front (three, thanks) is pronounced with just the t (tree or tanks).
sorry=excuse me
you're grand= that's ok
mh= v (popular names such as Niamh or Caoimhe are pronounced neeve and quee-vah.

I hope everyone enjoyed following my blog as much as I enjoyed writing it! CHEERS!! xo -Colleen

No comments:

Post a Comment