June 20, 2011

The Hill of Tara

The Hill of Tara was the seat of the High King of Ireland and a sacred site associated with kingship rituals during the 6th century. 142 kings are said to have reigned there in prehistoric and historic times. On a sunny day you can see all of Ireland (to bad it was pouring down rain the entire time we were there).


This stone is called Lia Fáil (Stone of Destiny) and it is where the Kings were crowned. The legend says that the stone would scream once a series of challenges were met by the new king. If the king was accepted, the stone would let out a screech that could be heard all over Ireland.


This is called the Mound of Hostages and it's the oldest monument on the Hill of Tara dating back to 2500 B.C. and it contains cremated remains.


These standing stones date back to the Bronze Age. The taller of the two has a carving of sheela na gigs, which represents fertility and a bond with nature.

3 comments:

  1. Maybe you can get a job teaching Irish history when you get home. You are doing a great job on this site!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your site searching for images of the Tara Hill. I have been reading "Round Towers" by Henry Obrien. Free book on Barnse and Noble. I am an Irish American and have begun to try to understand our Ancient History. I am ashamed at all the false history I have believed about my own people. I hope in your endevours you search for the truth and repeat it. If you can influence people in America to stop claiming we are drunken lepraucans that would be wonderful too. Best wishes. Julie Lowery

    ReplyDelete
  3. found your site when googling "peace walls in derry." I had run into one of the walls on my first foray into Cityside, though at the time I was not aware that it really was a "peace wall." If you care to, you may read an account of our travels here: http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bgoldes/irelandjournal.html

    ReplyDelete